In honor of World Breastfeeding Week, here are some of my favorite tips for breastfeeding in public. I was once that mom terrified of trying to get my baby to latch in the bathroom. With lots of practice and losing my fear, I became a pro at it! Any mom can do it.
- Do your research. Know your rights. In most states, it is illegal to tell a woman to cover up or ask her to leave because she's nursing.
- You don't have to use a cover. I've used layers to cover rather than worrying about a blanket or nursing cover. Just wear a nursing tank under another shirt, pull down the tank a little and you can keep your breast covered that way. Usually no one can even tell what you're doing!
- It is your child's right to eat whenever and wherever you are. That doesn't mean a dirty bathroom with germs flying everywhere.
- And it's recommended to nurse your baby on demand, rather than on a schedule.
- We need to normalize breastfeeding. The more it is seen, the more it will be accepted.